About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Sunday 18 March 2012

Review: Game of Thrones

Paperback: £ 8.99
Publisher: Harper Voyager

I bloody love this book!!! It is amazing in every way!!!!! I read the majority of it when I was away on my work trip last week. Usually when in the US I watch the TV a fair bit as I find it hard to sleep, but this time I hardly touched the remote as I was constantly reading Game of Thrones. I was travelling with my colleague and I think he was a tad fed up with me raving about the book constantly. I love it so much that I even raved about it to one of the clients we met up with! I have inspired him to read it now though! WOOOOOO!!!

The story is fantastic, gripping, funny in places, the only thing I'd say is that the ending was a little predictable. The chapters move in a cycle between several characters, I thoroughly enjoyed this as it allows the reader to see all parts of the story and find out several opinions on the events! I did find myself looking forward to some character's narratives more than others. I always wanted Tyrion's parts to come along and didn't really enjoy Sansa's.

I fell in love with Jon Snow straight away, I know he's only young but he's so so damn cool! I always end up falling for someone so I'm allowed! I do think Eddard is a bit of a beast too. Robb grew on me, which was a relief as I have the feeling that he's going to be an important part of the series! Bran is soooooo soooo cute and sweet, I'd like him as an additional little brother. Tyrion is amazing also, gotta love a feisty dwarf! Joff is a dick head as is Jaime!!! Bell ends, the pair of them!

My friend told me that there aren't any strong female characters in the book. What a load of toss, Dany and Catelyn are head strong and brave! They know what they want, what they need to do and how to be strong! I have a bit of a girl crush on Dany to be honest, I can imagine that she's a bit of a babe! Arya is also pretty damn cool and I think she's going to develop in to a fantastic woman as the books go on. Sansa drove me bonkers though, she is a drip and easily manipulated, she is not clever at all.

This is defo a high fantasy novel. I don't think you'd like it if you aren't in to your battle scenes, unknown things in the beyond, war etc etc. In my mind I see it being set in Medieval times due to the description of the clothing, castles, medicine, tournaments and hierarchy. Oh, and the apparent sheer lack of a justice system!

I don't want to say a hell of a lot about this book as I don't want to give any of the story away to those who haven't read it. So forgive me for this being pretty short considering the book is epically long.

I'm most keen to read book two now and watch the TV series, however, Sean Bean is not how I picture Eddard in my head! Not one bit. Bums!

Happy Reading!

Book Geek!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment