About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Monday 20 March 2017

Review: Metronome

Publisher: Unsung Stories
 
So, I totally judged this book by it's cover. I thought yes high fantasy from the offing. So when I opened it and we were in a nursing home with WM, to be honest I was rather disappointed. I didn't see how we could get to the world on the front page, I didn't see how we could get where the book was going. BUT WE DID!!! YAY
 
 
The move away from the story of the old man in his nursing home to the adventures in the dream world is perfect, it's calculated and it takes you there and you stay there. The world that is created is amazing and I truly loved it. The descriptions were fantastic and I could picture everything in my mind (not exactly as the cover maybe). I think that if the descriptions in a book are detailed but concise enough to make you completely immerse yourself then they are spot on and amazing and deserve credit. This book contains those type of descriptions. 

What I also like in this novel (and I hope I don't give too much away here) is that you never know if you are in a real situation that is in this dream world or if you are just in a situation that is in WM's subconscious/imagination. In a way, the book pokes at this possibility itself with some things related to Reid, which in itself it great.

The only criticism I would have is that the book's ending is a bit too intense and philosophical. It was rather unexpected and for me, made the book a bit too heavy and not as enjoyable when the final conclusion was drawn.

BUT, some people love this and I will let them have it ;-)

Happy Reading

BG

No comments:

Post a Comment