About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Friday 21 July 2017

Review: Himmler's Cook

Publisher: Atlantic Books


I will admit, I've had this book a while. A friend of mine has raved about it at me a few times, but something always put me off reading it.

Now I am so happy I have read it!

The style is amazing, Rose's voice is fantastic and I am very impressed that a male author can write so astutely as a woman, be it a VERY old woman recalling her life, its triumphs, its failures, its loves and its woes. The writing beautifully crafts Rose's voice and I really felt I got to know her and what she stood for.

But, despite the beauty, there is plenty of comedy and plenty of darkness, both in equal portions. And they are thoroughly good in their own ways.

The life Rose has led through war, death, love, pain, communism, fascists and more is amazing, and of course fantastical, but it works so perfectly as a story, but also a summing up of our society and what the world and man kind has been, done and created over the 100 odd years the novel covers. In its own way it's a comment on society as well as glorious fictional memoir.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to man and woman, do not be put off by it being a love story, do not be put off by the title. The tag line 'a blackly funny yet beguiling tale of love and bloody revenge' is perfectly apt and indeed shows you that this novel has something for everyone.

Definitely one of the best books I've read this year....if not ever.....

ENJOY
BG

P.S. the only one niggle I have is regarding Himmler....but I don't want to spoil anything - so guesses and answers on a post card.

No comments:

Post a Comment