About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Sunday 14 April 2013

Review: Hope: A Tragedy

Price: £ 7.99
Publisher: Picador

I'm not sure if I enjoyed this book, I'm not even sure if it would be ok for me to enjoy it. It is an absolutely mental book talking about the degradation of Sol's life, identity and spirit! Jewish identity is discussed in a way I have never seen before. I think the discussion of what it is to be a Jew that made me feel like I shouldn't enjoy it, as well, not being Jewish, am I allowed to find such things entertaining and funny? Does it make me anti-Semitic? Or is it ok because the author is Jewish...Hmmmmmm, I am struggling with this one a bit!

Mother is a wonderful character! She's my favourite character in this book. I want to be a mental old lady like her doing mental shit just because you can!! The attic resident was also most incredible...however, I will not say anything more about them as I don't want to spoil it! All I want to say though is that the attic resident was beautifully constructed and developed throughout.

I don't know if this book will be for everyone, it's totally outrageous and uncomfortable but fascinating allllllll at once. Defo give it a go if you come across it though as I would like to hear more opinions!

Happy Reading

Book Geek

:-p

No comments:

Post a Comment