About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Friday 2 August 2013

The Harry Potter Challenge: The Philosopher's Stone

So, fellow geeks. Many moons ago I read the first two HP books and I really didn't see what all the fuss was about. So much so that I didn't bother to read any more of them.

Just before I went on holiday this fact came up with Boy Geek so he challenged me to read alllllllllll (yes alllllllllll) the HP books and then decide if I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I have now completed book one and I can tell you, I'm still in the 'what's the point' category.

I'm sorry but I just don't see the appeal. OOOO, he's a wizard....ooooo he goes to wizard school....ooooo he is a defeat the odds amazing boy.

So the hell what??

I will admit that maybe firstly reading them at the age of 18 and now at 27 makes me the wrong age to enjoy them. But, I do enjoy a good YA book and have been known to enjoy a book that is targeted at even younger ages. Maybe it's just that for me the first HP book doesn't offer anything new or exciting or interesting or gripping. People have said it is because I don't like the magic and wizard aspects. If you have read my blog before (or know me) then you will see that I am a huge fantasy fan so magic and wizards, yep, bring it on by the bucket load! As well as dragons, trolls, enchanted objects etc etc etc etc.

I apologise to all the HP fans out there that I'm not enthralled by this series yet. I am sure that for those of you who grew up with it and those who will grow up with it in the future will always be die hard fans...I'm just not one...or maybe I'm just not one yet...I will continue to read the series and keep you all updated. Who knows...maybe as HP turns in to something more exciting and becomes a bit more of a grown up I will become a convert.

I have been told that books 3 and 4 are the best and then it gets a bit shit from there on in, so we'll all just have to wait and see.

Watch this space....

Book Geek

<:-s

No comments:

Post a Comment