About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Thursday 7 November 2013

Review: The Detainee

Publisher: Jo Fletcher Books
Price: £ 14.99 hardback

We're on an island, somewhere in the not too distant future. Everyone is trapped, prisoners, and there are tribes (in effect) that just don't get on. But one chap, he develops other ideas.

The whole thing is through the eyes of Clancy, Big Guy, as if he is making a statement about what happened on that island over the period of what seems like a matter of months, if not weeks. We aren't 100% sure why the world is like this now or why he is really there and to be honest, I found that a tad annoying. There was so much potential for the back story and the collapse of the world as we know it to be described. It felt a tad like PL had the idea for this book but didn't have the grounding for it or the way of making it seem realistic.

Yes this is a fantasy/scifi novel but, it has too many references to life in our memories and time for it to be that far removed that it doesn't need further explanation. If I forgot about that for a moment then I could enjoy this book far more. 

It is very well written indeed and the characters are developed in a great way. Fear, love, hope, emotions in general are constructed delicately and effortlessly. But, I can't get over the fact that there just seemed to be something missing in the plot. There was just a niggling hole that needed to be filled. I'm also kind of hoping that this is part of a series or another along the lines of this book, in this world, will crop up to do just that.

A read that I enjoyed to an extent, but think I would have enjoyed more if that extra layer had been there.

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-s

No comments:

Post a Comment