About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Tuesday 13 May 2014

Review: Home + Hearth

Publisher: Spectral Press

I was delighted when this hit my inbox as I've read the odd bit from Spectral Press but not loads. This was indeed a treat I was delighted to receive.

Caroline's son is home, he did something bad...maybe...this short story tells you of the time after, and how a mother can/does cope with a child like Simon.

Wow. I had many We Need to Talk About Kevin thoughts when I read this and a few James Bulger thoughts too. It always amazes me when writing can invoke such strong emotions and thoughts from the reader.

The whole story is a question of parental love. How far will a parent go to protect their child? What will it take for a parent to stop loving a child? Very strong questions for such as short piece to ask and in some ways answer too.

I sill have chills now and I finished it a little while ago. I think if I were a parent I would feel even more strongly about this read, and I'm sure many of you will.

Overall, a chilling and emotive piece that I have thoroughly enjoyed!

Happy Reading (I think)

Book Geek
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment