About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Review: Land of Shadows

Price: £ 7.99
Publisher: Titan Books

We are in LA and there has been a murder. But don't worry Lou is on it. Unfortunately it's bringing back some rather unpleasant memories.

So, let's face it, I was going to enjoy this book from the offing as the main character is a hard assed female police detective. Her comebacks are awesome, she takes no shit from anyone in her work and she is a total babe. The personal life aspects that were included made her human and showed you that bad ass cops are people too who have to deal with their own shit! They really have a lot to cope with.

The story was pretty cracking. There were twists and turns and it was dark. I enjoyed the different narrative voices, be they Lou or the perp. I also enjoyed the flash backs to the time when Lou's sister disappeared. It kept you on your toes and the perp sections were seriously creepy! SERIOUSLY!

Colin was a bit of a douche but a loveable one. The other dudes at the station were pretty awesome and I want them to be my friends..along with Lou of course!!

This isn't a gory read so those who are crime fans but not gore fans will enjoy. Also, those who love a good detective novel will love it also. I found the gang references particularly good, as I have a real fascination with American gang culture, I don't know why, I just do. The only flaw I see in this book is that there are two loose ends that don't seem to have been tied up at all. I'm not going to point them out as I will ruin the plot. But if you notice them too, do let me know! 

Anyway, cracking crime novel with a totally awesome main character. You can also find her on twitter @LAPDLouNorton.

Happy Reading

BG
:-)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting one. I've read all of the Kathy Reichs books and was looking for something similar to move on to. This sounds promising. I like my crime but I'm not great with the gore!

    ReplyDelete