Hardback: £ 16.99
I will start with what I did like.....
- The recaps were minimal and that was pretty damn good as I get annoyed when they are very obviously thrown in your face.
- Phillipe is a total and utter beast, a great character and I loved him.
- Gallowglass was also an AMAZING character and I want him to be my friend.
- I thoroughly enjoyed the chapters plonked back in the modern day. They were few and far between but they were totally fantastic and provided a great line of intrigue to spur me through.
- The last quarter was great and totally worth reading the other 3/4.
What I didn't like....
- Diana was a door mat and Matthew was a total dick for the majority of the book.
- The amount of time spent in 1590 seemed a bit excessive....I agree with my bezzie on this point.
- The past chapters/portions were VERY hit or miss up until the last 1/4 when the fun started.
- The very last chapter was odd beyond belief and didn't really fit in.
Yes, I enjoyed the book to an extent but I did not love it as much I hoped/expected. Harkness is indeed a VERY intelligent woman to delve in to such history so successfully and create not only the characters but the attitudes, fashions, manners and locations with such skill. I will of course read the final part when it comes out as I have to know what happens next. But, if this was the first book, I don't think I would have moved on to book two...however, as with many trilogies, book 2 is always a let down.
Post a Comment