About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Sunday 3 February 2013

Review: The Unreliable Life of Harry the Valet

Publisher: Windmill Books
Price: £ 7.99

You may have noticed that I don't tend to read millions upon millions of autobiographies/biographies...I don't know why, I just don't really. Anyway, I read this one and it wasn't at all what I expected. 

First off, I didn't actually think it was going to be a bio, I thought it was going to be just a story about a Victorian jewel thief. It ruled though. From the intro, I had crazy dreams about being a con artist. They ruled and I enjoyed them muchly! Admittedly, I have no idea what the cons were as all I remember was the beginning of the con and the closing, what a rubbish con artist I really would be. 

The book reads like DH is writing down a story someone else is telling. It is really charming and it feels like DH really has a relationship with Harry, he has got under his skin and it feels like Harry means a lot to him. The entire thing is written with heart and compassion. 

I hadn't heard of Gaiety Girls before, as to be honest, history is not something I am any good at....that and geography. Anyway, Maude, the GG is a total and utter bint, I HATED HER COMPLETELY!! TOTAL BINT. The love for Harry was amazing and the hatred DH showed for her was clear. 

The F. Scott Fitzgerald reference was cracking btw. 

Lovely read, thoughtfully done! YAY

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment