About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Friday 21 September 2012

Review: Sherlock Holmes - The Army of Dr Moreau

Publisher: Titan Books
Price: £ 7.99

I have more or less always had a thing for Sherlock Holmes, the same as my grandfather (read more about that in the My Bookshelf post). So, when Titan Books offered me a new Sherlock Holmes story I was keen if not a tad sceptical (I had no reason to be the latter).

I haven't read any Sherlock in a good 18 months, but I feel that the language and tone used by Adams is far easier to get along with than the original (SORRY). I mean don't get me wrong, I bloody love the good oldies but Adams' turn of phrase just seems some what lighter. I did feel in the beginning however that I was missing a trick as I hadn't read The Breath of God.......this didn't last long though as, as per the originals, Adams treats everyone as a separate entity. I thought it was a cracking page turner from the offing.

Brief recaps are interwoven at the beginning of each part and that was an immediate sign that Adams had studied Mr Conan Doyle and the earlier collection. I was relieved. I was terrified that Adams was going to just adopt the characters and completely divert away from the original. I am however not 100% sure how I feel about the earlier stories/cases being referred to....yes it keeps the thread but, well I dunno, didn't quite sit right.

As well as Watson's most dry and entertaining turns of phrase continuing to flourish and Holme's cutting, dark and thoroughly enjoyable dark wit being ever present, there are moments of darkly funny comedy. It could just be my odd brain but I found some moments fantastically comic in a terrible, should I really find this funny way! The changes in language and voice for the soliloquy/witness statement/testimony chapters throughout the novel were fantastic and as Watson was recording them the interjections were cracking.

I am going to try not to spoil anything but the change of tones/voices towards the end was AMAZING and totally convincing as well as thoroughly enjoyable.

Overall this is a very intelligent, very well written, very thoroughly researched and very enjoyable read. I may also go off and Google Guy Adams because I really hope he is fit!

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-)

(nearly typed my real name then! UH OH)



No comments:

Post a Comment