About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Friday 15 August 2014

Review: The Spectral Book of Horror Stories

Publisher: Spectral Press

This is, as the name suggests, a book of short horror stories, however, they are a completely modern take on horror stories, as far as I am concerned anyway. They aren't your usual monsters and ghosts and dead children, not your usual gothic horror. They are something all together different.

I'm not going to discuss each individually as there area many, but I will point out a few I enjoyed.

I loved the Dog story, which I think was the second in the collection. It was so completely normal, to an extent. That is true for most of the stories. They are so normal and run of the mill that you could actually see the horror events happening in real life. I think that is what makes this such a cracking collection of horror.

The Night Doctor story actually made me feel physically ill when I was eating my lunch. The description of the actual night doctor is not something you want to be reading whilst eating a pasta salad. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I think my favourite story in the book was Stolen Kisses. I had no idea how it could be a horror story and it was really different from the others as it was as if a woman was giving a rambling speech to justify her actions. When the horror aspect of it is revealed it is amazing, so brief and so to the point! EXCELLENTLY DONE.

So, on the whole, a cracking little collection of very different horror stories. Horror stories for the modern day and ones that will linger with you.

Happy Reading (I think)

BG
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment