About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Tuesday 10 May 2016

Review: Hot Lead, Cold Iron

Publisher: Titan
 
 
We're in the 1930s, the heart of gangster age, but there is magic and fantasy and mystery too - PERFECT.
 
Loved the use of Oberon as a last name, that did not pass by me for one second. YAY. Also, I'm just going to say it now to get it done with, I LOVE OBERON!
 
The style is great, I like the little asides to the reader, it makes you feel like you really are there and you can just imagine an old film with the asides voice over. I also loved the gangster language. Perfect!

The mash up of worlds was also right up my alley, I love fantasy, love a good thriller/crime novel so this was just the type of book I was  meant to read. Also I was reading it on a work trip back in April, so the complete escapism was more than welcome!

The book gets very very dark towards the end which was a shock as the humour and other aspects were quite light hearted and jovial. But, it's not gratuitous or ridiculous and actually gives the novel a good brutal hit that makes you sit up and take notice.

And this may shock some of you, but I really loved the cheesy ending which has clearly set up another Oberon novel. If Titan are reading this, can I have it please?

Overall, just my type of book, and one that took me by surprise. Fun, gripping, entertaining, unexpected.

Happy Reading

BG
:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment