About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Friday 10 April 2015

A book set in a different country: Finn Fancy Necromancy

Publisher: Titan Books

Set in America, Finn is back from exile but it isn't all going as planned as the necromancer returns to life in 21st century America.

I will admit that it did take a while for me to get into this book, and I think it's because I had a book hangover from The Book of You. When I did eventually get in to it, it became a nice, fun read and I was glad to have that as I am still trying to put off reading the second part of Tess of the d'Urbervilles and I keep having flashbacks to how tedious it is!

I like the way the whole book is a fantasy novel but with a twist as it's set now in the completely modern world and there are only a few oddities here and there to make it fantasy and weird. That's good. The characters were alright (and if you read this blog a lot you know I comment on characters every time I read a book). Mattie made me feel really sad as she is so lonely, I just want to look after Pete!!!!! I did not fall in love with anyone and that is a REALLY big deal for me! The gnome mafia were my favourite and I am over joyed that they are a recurring phenomenon.

The style of writing is very American and some times I didn't quite know what was being referenced. I do however LOVE the fact that the chapters are all titles of 1980s pop songs, BRAVO!!

The book was alright and the ending was satisfactory...all I will say is I KNEW IT and there is another on the way, that's obvious. 

For fantasy that's a little bit different, give it a go. Also, if you were a geeky teen in the 80s give it a go!

Happy Reading

BG 
:-)

P.S. I'm sodding off on a work trip for a week tomorrow, again I know, so I will be quiet until I return!



No comments:

Post a Comment