About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Tuesday 29 March 2016

Review: Landed

Publisher: Windmill
 
This review is going to be a bit of a mixed bag...just to warn you.
 
I found the farm and childhood chapters a bit slow going to start with. The other parts were more eclectic and off the wall which I thought were stonking and really kicked off the book in a really interesting way. The history of everything via different mediums, voices and people was very good.
 
When part 2 began my feelings shifted, dramatically. I was sympathetic towards O to start with, I had understanding for how he was pained, but I'm afraid suspicion took over as I believe his selfishness began to reign.
 
The kids were lovely characters and balanced out the feelings of anger and annoyance I had about O.
 
I was not 100pc convinced by the use of Welsh dialect in the book. I was a bit miffed by the constant use of 'like' when the due wasn't really full Welsh and lived in Birmingham. 'Like' being inserted every other word in the  conversations of the Welsh characters seemed rather patronising, and a little bit along the lines of...'that's what Welsh people say' without any real research.
 
Finally, the ending...WHAT THE HELL??? I am not sure if I completely missed the point or if it's just really bloody weird....comments welcome!
 
Anyway, yep, a mixed bag, there were things I really liked about this book but things I didn't too...I just don't know where I stand.
 
BG


No comments:

Post a Comment