About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Review: The Sentry

The Sentry - Robert Crais
Paperback: £6.99
Publisher: Orion



I'd consider this book as a high action crime novel!
Could it be classed as post Katrina literature or am I reading too much in to it there?

This is part of a series of books. I haven't read any of the other Pike and Cole books but I didn't feel like I've missed out on background history that would have made the book more enjoyable. The only bit I have questions about is the significance of Pike's tattoos. I would like to know what they mean and where they came from. 

The book is driven by the situation Wilson Smith and Dru Rayne are in. Hollywood gangs are heavily involved and I found this very interesting as gangs/mafia organisations intrigue me. The parts of the novel discussing the set up of the gangs etc. were particularly absorbing. I enjoyed the character of Azzara as he wasn't what I would have expected from a gang leader in some respects. Could he be a more accurate representation of gang big wigs in the modern age? 

The psychopath character of Daniel is everything you would expect from some one who is unhinged enough to be an assassin for hire who enjoys a spot of torture. The chapters written in his first person are disjointed and made me feel slightly mental. The style of writing in these sections reminded me of Catch 22.

Cole and Pike's relationship is incredibly strong and this is evident throughout. I thought I would loose out on understanding their closeness as I haven't read any of the other books involving them but this wasn't the case. I do feel however, that their relationship is a little bit off balance and one of them cares more for the other. What do you think?

There are some twists and turns throughout the novel that I didn't find at all obvious. This partly could have been because I wasn't expecting them/didn't know there were any. I'd be interested to find out if anyone saw them coming. 

There are a few particularly gory scenes so this is not a book for the faint hearted. However, there is a small amount of romance so if you enjoy the soppy stuff this should make up for the gore!

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It's a light and easy read that does keep you turning the pages. I would possibly be interested in reading some of the earlier novels, but only to find out about Pike's tattoos, yes I do find them that intriguing.

Happy Reading!

Book Geek
x


No comments:

Post a Comment