About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Monday 4 September 2017

Review: The Shadow of Fu-Manchu

Publisher: Titan Books
 
I do indeed like it when old books are republished so good on Titan for doing it. And this oldie is exactly as it says on the quotation on the back 'at best these books are very superior pulp fiction...at their worst, they're gruesomely readable.' The book was just that, a bit of both and was spiffing company on the six hours I spent on a train over the bank holiday weekend in August.
 
I haven't read the others in the series, but I know about and of the legend of Fu-Manchu so I got this novel. I think however that if I didn't have the knowledge I wouldn't have liked the book or really got it shall we say.
 
You will need to put yourself beyond the1940s language and slightly un-PC rhetoric but as long as you can get over this you will enjoy it no end. I've read many a book with language and style of them olden days so not bothered at all now.
 
It's a gripping read and a bit tongue in cheek, but it's also really easy to read too.
 
One gripe I have is Camille. She had the potential to be so badass but in the end she was so girly and wet I was really rather cross. MAybe this is something of these books that I'm not over just yet.
 
Cheers
 
BG

No comments:

Post a Comment