About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Thursday 15 March 2018

Review: 2084

Publisher: Unsung Stories
 
Absolutely fantastic concept and execution. A real joy to read, when not feeling alarmed, uncomfortable and concerned about life and what's going to happen next.
 
I would thoroughly recommend this book, the stories are superb and there is something for everyone to feel something about and react to.
 
Below are just a few of the highlights that I wanted to point out.
 
Babylon
This is a scary one, you can see the world actually turning in to this, the them vs. us, the poor vs. the rich, world powers vs. the other. It's a story of race in essence I feel.
You can also see North Korea in the state/situation described in this story.
It's a great start to the collection, it's unnerving as has so much potential to be real....maybe not literally but in some ways.
 
Here comes the flood
Again a relatable and realistic story looking at climate change.
I think there is a lesson in this story which is along the lines of think about now because of what will happen to the future. Also seems to be a comment on our collective denial that things are this bad and will get worse.
 
The Endling Market
Now this story felt different, it felt like you were being told it person to person. It was written in a conversational style.
But again it was dealing with extinction and something that again, is very real and alarming in the world today.
A change of tone and pace and a good un. 

March-April-May
I totally got this story (I think and hope) and could see that indeed social media is worrying and can indeed suck people in, feed their perceptions, world view, understanding, exposure to life. It's pretty alarming.
Real life can be online exclusively for some people and that's alarming - says the tweeter and blogger I know!

Bravo!

BG

No comments:

Post a Comment