About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Review: The Dark Palace

Price: £ 9.04 ebook
Publisher: Creme de la Crime

I read The Mannequin House last year and it was the first time I had encountered Quinn, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I'm sad to say, that this one hasn't gone down so well. I'm not 100% sure if I've missed a book in between and if that would make a difference to what I'm about to say. If so I apologise now!

Quinn and his team are charged with watching the Germans and through this task they fall in to something allllll together different.

This story wasn't as gripping as TMH, by any stretch of the imagination. It all felt rather far fetched and there were no clear threads as to where we were going and why. The language and the actions were also not like before and I could clearly see the modern influence. This was a great shame as TMH could have easily been written in the early 1910s and not even stepped foot in the here and now once. 

When it comes to Quinn, I was totally in love with him last time, but now he seems rather wet and weedy. He is too trigger happy, too much of a dick for anyone to like him be they colleague or suspect or lodger. Macadam and Inch came in to their own a bit more and I was delighted to see that...they are rather spiffing characters in their own special way.

When it came to the film people and the perps, I think they were all too caricatured for the nature of what was going on. Well...I say that of the film people. When it came to the perps, I would have liked them to have been a bit more involved and for them to have been presented a bit more often so one could have got to know them and more thoroughly understand what they were doing. 

So, sad to say I didn't enjoy this all that much. I do again apologise if it is because I've missed a book at some point. I'm sure however, that die hard Quinn fans will love it to pieces.

Happy Reading

BG
:-S

No comments:

Post a Comment