About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Thursday 10 January 2013

Review: The Quiet Girl

Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Price: $ 26

I will tell you all first of all why this book is $26. I bought it at Books Galore in Katy Mills mall near Houston. I however, only paid $ 5.97 for it as it was in the sale....anyway, now on with the show.

This was a really frustrating book! I was worried that it would be a load of pretentious drivel...and to be honest I'm not sure if it was or not!!!

In the beginning I was rather intrigued...sadly, this didn't last very long AT ALL!!!! I thought part 1 was a load of total shit. However, part 2 made me change my mind. A more sensible narrative structure and plot took over and I got on board with it. The book actually seemed like a different author took over altogether. The joy wasn't meant to last though as part 3 turned back to the shit of part 1! It however didn't seem so annoying and crappy as I think I was used it. There were more than 3 parts and this flip flopping between weirdness and normality was a theme!

I really wasn't clear about the genre of the book due to the jumping back and fore between the crazy weird and annoying stuff and the action packed narrative thriller. It seemed like two completely different books were mashed together by someone who had no idea what they were doing. Maybe separately, there would be two books in there!!! Two pretty decent books!

Due to all my uncertainties with the actual genre(s) of the book and my not totally getting the point in all of it, I have started to think that I maybe am not clever enough to enjoy the book properly. There was obviously a vague plot and I take it that there was the Thriller part however, I don't think I got the complexities that made it a Philosophical Thriller. This is a bit shameful, but part of me hopes that I am too much of an idiot to understand the book and it is not in fact a total pile of shit.

There were two parts that made me laugh and that did provide a little bit of hope for the book as a whole...Santa's limits and borderline transvestites! WHOOP!!!!

Basically, I don't really know if this was actually a good book or not. I didn't really enjoy it all that much and don't think I'd recommend it to a friend, however, if you are a very intelligent person, you may enjoy it!

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment