About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Review: Gatecrasher

Publisher: self published by author
Price: on kindle at 77p

Some of you are going to hate me and I am sorry!!!! The author sent me the link to this ebook for free and asked me to review it....I then downloaded the Kinde app to my iPhone and read it! Sorry for turning to the ebook and not sticking with paper!!! It will not happen often.....

Now I have got that off my chest, on with the review...

The whole thing flits between several groups of characters and several POVs and that certainly keeps you on your toes in a good way. The story is intertwining from the offing and I always enjoy a good collection of intertwining plots! The whole thing started to remind me of Lock Stock/Snatch at the beginning but with out the comedy edge as the novel does cover some rather serious topics.

As a character, Campbell offered you pretty much everything. You can empathise with him, be on his side, doubt him and feel sorry for him. There is a cracking contrast at points between his edginess and frailty and the coolness of the gangsters. You get pretty attached to Campbell by the end...or at least I did.

The parallels between police and gangster investigations was a most enjoyable! Also, as I said earlier I thoroughly enjoyed the multiple plots that were all joined in some fashion. I didn't however like the fact that there was a cliff hanger at the end of every single chapter. It reminded me too much of Dan Brown and the serial school of writing! BOO!

The political and geopolitical aspects of the plot as it progressed were great. I won't say too much about them as I don't want to give anything away, however, they were a great addition and made the whole thing far more complex. The topics up for discussion are of interest to me anyway so I was delighted when they came along.

About 3/4 of the way through the action is incredible and the story starts moving at a mile a minute and continues to do so pretty much until the end. You certainly are kept on your toes and things get pretty mental. The story ends up being far more complex than you first think it will be but the bad guy was a bit too twiddly moustache for me!

On the whole the book does exactly what it says on the tin. It is a pretty compelling and gripping page turner and is worth the read if you like crime, have an ereader and 77p to splash!

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment