About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Review: Nod

Price: £ 7.99
Publisher: Blue Moose

If you want an apocalypse styleeeee book that is in no way run of the mill or formulaic and all that jazz then this is the book for you! Move over tedium of the genre....NOD IS HERE!

The book is Paul's diary from when the sleeping stopped and the world began to crumble. The entire thing is in first person (obviously) and Paul's job as an etymologist clearly comes through in the choice of words and style of writing. I did wonder on occasion if there was part of the author in Paul! Tanya's description is rather like how I look...it drew me to her and made her parts in the story very tough on occasion. Relating to characters in even a small way can be very hard at times when you become very involved in a book.

I started reading Nod on Sunday night, I never really sleep all that properly on a Sunday night and my reading Nod made me notice that fact even more! It really did give me the heebie geebies and I started to think that maybe the whole not sleeping thing was beginning ARRRGH!!! Also, Nod made me think about how in all books, tv shows, films etc about apocalypse-ness, once it all begins the world slowly descends in to total chaos! I hope that people don't really behave like complete dicks if such an event does happen and that we are all far more prepared and sensible about it all! Surely fiction is carrying some warning for us all here.

Charles was a good character. Not in a, oooo I really liked him way, but he was a good asset to the novel. He really embodied the phrase, 'the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind' for me. I don't want to say much more about him as I do not want to spoil a thing.

The power of language was, I think, a powerful message in this book and I hope I haven't read too much in to that. I hope it is there as it was a very poignant part of the whole book that I loved. There were several religious themes in places also (I believe) but, I don't think I have enough of a religious understanding to appreciate all of that aspect.

After page 100 things got a bit headed up and some action arrived. To be honest, I was glad that that aspect didn't last very long. The book didn't need it! The words are all that matters.

A fantastically written book, both elegant and addictive in content and style. Blue Moose really do know how to publish a great read! THANKS

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment