About Me

My photo
I read a lot of books and I write about them on here. Mummy Geek is sometimes a guest blogger....people seem to love her.....Oh and you can find me on Twitter.....@book_geek_says. Shortlisted for Blog of the Year by the 2015 Love Stories Awards...THANK YOU!!

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Review: The Drowning of Arthur Braxton

Publisher: The Friday Project
Price: £ 7.99

In the beginning, I will admit, I had no idea what the hell was happening in this book. I was bemused and confused, yet totally in love with CS's style of writing. She adopts the voice of kids of a certain age really well. I was totally convinced that I was reading the rambling thoughts of teenagers in love and desperate for sex and security.

I was surprised to see the sections alternate between narrative and a script. I thought the script would detract from me immersing myself in the book, but it didn't. It kept me even more intrigued and absorbed.

The influence of legends and myths and fairytales was glorious, subtle and, well, so subtle that they are so interwoven that on occasion you don't even notice them until you really think about it. They could indeed be missed at first glance! However, have no fear, you will notice them and then appreciate the intelligence of this book even more.

This is a myth/legend/fairytale for the now, for the present! It's charming, funny, sad and witty. It keeps you intrigued and interested even if you don't always know why and displays the great talent that CS is!

Happy Reading

Book Geek
:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment